Allowing to reducing the amount of CO2 emitted to produce cement, by utilizing non-fossil fuels and higher amounts of low-carbon raw materials; and by reducing the energy of the production process. Find out more
Increasing cement strength and sustainability
Our solutions empower producers to improve cement performance, enhance plant efficiency, and reduce embodied carbon. As the global leader in cement additives and services, GCP delivers ready-made and custom-made cement additives that help lower clinker factor and increase plant efficiency.
Cement additive technologies 1st developed by GCP enable the cement industry to reduce 75m tons of CO2 per year*
saved daily using GCP’s TAVERO® and OPTEVA® additives globally, equivalent to daily energy consumption of 500,000 families*.
9 Million tons of CO2 are reduced annually by our additives, which is equivalent to 2 Million cars off the road everyday*
Cement Additive Facts:
- 2 million cars off the road every day. GCP’s TAVERO® and OPTEVA® additives in 2020 reduced CO2 emissions by approximately 9M tons, equivalent to taking two million cars off the road every day*.
- Reducing 4% of global cement CO2 emissions. Cement additive technologies first developed and introduced by GCP are currently enabling the cement industry to reduce approximately 75M tons of CO2 per year. That’s approximately 4% of global cement CO2 emissions (or approximately 0.2% of global man-made emissions)*.
- Saving energy for half a million families. Approximately 1,500 gigawatt hours (GWh) of electricity are saved daily by the use of GCP’s TAVERO® and OPTEVA® additives globally. That’s equivalent to the daily energy consumption of half a million families*.
- Making water available to 25 people, for each vertical roller mill (VRM). Approximately 14,000 cubic meters of water are saved annually by each VRM utilizing a TAVERO® VM additive. That’s equivalent to the daily water need of over 25 people in a typical developing country*.
*Reflects GCP internal estimates
Learn how GCP can make your business more sustainable.
The Role of Cement Additives
Small input, big impact.
Chemicals are typically added at 0.01% - 0.3% by weight of cement to allow cement producers to reduce energy, water and carbon-intensive materials usage. Savings can be up to 30% for each category. This amount is equivalent to adding: 1-8 cups of liquid additives (~½ pint - ½ gallon, ~ 0.2 - 2 liters) to a volume of cement the size of a home refrigerator (outer dimensions = 36 cu. ft., 1 m3) or 1 part additive/admixture in 500 - 5000 parts of cement.
Advancing the science of cement production
GCP produces specially formulated cement admixtures that tackle greenhouse gas emissions in a number of ways. By allowing for a significant reduction in clinker and an increase in supplementary cementitious materials, GCP admixtures reduce the carbon footprint of cement. Our grinding aids further improve sustainability by reducing the energy needed to grind cement. This results in greater cost savings, increased strength, and improved sustainability.
How Cement Additives Advance Sustainability.
GCP treats hundreds of millions of tons of cement per year. CO2 is saved through the use of both Grinding Aids and Quality Improvers:
- OPTEVA® Quality improvers increase strength, allowing the introduction of supplementary cementitious materials in place of clinker, reducing both costs and emissions – and turning waste products into inputs.
- TAVERO® Grinding aids reduce the energy needed for cement grinding, lowering costs and carbon emissions. This allows a 5-30% output increase (or 5-30% power saving), equal to between 2 and 15 kWh/tonne of cement.
- TYTRON®, AIRALON®, SYNCHRO® Specialty Cement Additives, to impart specific functionalities to cement, such as controlled air and rheology, and low Chromium(VI).