High performance self-adhered flashing with non-asphaltic butyl-modified adhesive
The Better the Seal, the Better the Performance
The primary purpose of a flashing tape is to prevent the migration of water and air through window and door openings. Product performance depends on the adhesive bond between the flashing and the substrate. This is especially true for irregularly surfaced materials such as OSB. The better the adhesive seals itself into the peaks and valleys of the substrate, the better the barrier against water and air migration.
Moisture Control is the First Step to Mold Control
Water from both exterior and interior sources is among the worst enemies of building structures. When moisture enters and remains within the wall system, it creates a favorable environment for the development of rot, mold and mildew. Repairing these types of problems can be very difficult and extremely costly.
Air Control is the First Step to Better Energy Performance
The key to optimizing energy performance is preventing the movement of air both into and out of the building envelope. Air leaks around window and door openings make it difficult to keep a comfortable indoor environment, forcing the HVAC system to work harder, while driving up energy costs.
A properly integrated flashing tape that adheres and seals aggressively to the substrate will create the most effective barrier against water and air migration while acting as a drainage plane to shed water down the exterior of the building envelope.
What Makes Vycor® PRO Flashing Different?
Vycor® PRO flashing, with its unique film and non-asphaltic, butyl-modified adhesive technology, provides premium protection against water infiltration in all critical non-roof detail areas, that traditional building papers, felts, housewraps and other flashing products cannot match.
In addition, Vycor® PRO’s wide application and service temperature windows make it appropriate for use in any environment.
Vycor® Pro flashing is composed of a durable, tear and puncture resistant engineered polypropylene backing film, paired with an aggressive, non-asphaltic, proprietary butyl-modified adhesive. Vycor® PRO flashing comes in 75 ft rolls and is available in:
- 4 in. (102 mm)
- 6 in. (150 mm)
- 9 in. (225 mm)
- 12 in. (305 mm)
Vycor® PRO flashing is a unique solution appropriate for working around a number of detail areas, including, but not limited to:
- Window and door openings (headers, sills, jambs, thresholds, nailing flanges)
- Deck-to-wall intersections
- Corner boards
- Wall-to-wall tie-ins
- Foundation sill plates
- Sheathing panel seams
- Under stucco finishes
- Masonry walls
- Application to EPDM in vertical applications
- Other non-roof detail areas
Features & Uses
- Superior adhesive capabilities — Non-Asphaltic, proprietary butyl-modified adhesive seals and adheres to the substrate creating a best-in-class barrier against air and water intrusion.
- Seals around fasteners — The specially formulated adhesive seals around fasteners, preventing water penetration.
- Forms water-tight laps — Vycor® PRO’s superior adhesion properties ensure strong overlaps.
- Highly Conformable — Thin and pliable membrane is easily worked into tight details.
- Wide application window — Primerless adhesion to wood sheathing from 25°F (4° C)
- Wide Service Temperature Window — Suitable for in-service conditions up to 176° F (80° C)
- Long exposure time — 120 days of exposure provides protection over long, unpredictable construction cycles
- Flexible Application — Vycor® PRO’s wide performance window makes it appropriate for use in all regions
- Easy to work with — This high performance barrier membrane is easy to apply with 6 and 12 inch (150 mm and 305 mm) measurement markings.
- Superior Weather Protection Solution — Use in combination with Vycor® enV-S™ or Vycor enV® fully-adhered weather barriers to provide superior protection from wind driven rain.
- Vycor® Pro flashing contains no asphalt, and is fully compatible with rigid and flexible PVC window nailing flanges.
- Compatible with common weather resistive barriers and many types of sealants. Refer to Technical Letter 1, Chemical Compatibility with Other Building Materials and Sealants for more information.
Apply in fair weather to clean and dry surface at air temperatures of 25°F (4°C) or higher. Apply directly to substrate. Compatible substrates include wood, plywood, oriented strand board, exterior gypsum, metal, concrete and masonry. Install Vycor® PRO flashing with weather-resistive barriers to form water-shedding laps. Cut membrane to length. Peel back release liner. Align membrane and press into place. Mechanically fasten membrane at vertical terminations as necessary. Press or roll into place with hand roller to achieve best adhesion. Primer is generally not required for most substrates (including plywood, OSB, dimensional lumber, PVC window flanges, steel, and aluminum) provided they are clean and dry. On concrete, masonry and glass fiber surfaced gypsum sheathing apply Perm-A-Barrier® WB Primer at a coverage rate of 250–350 ft2/gal (6–8 m2/L). Regardless of substrate, if adhesion is found to be marginal, prime substrate material with Perm-A-Barrier® WB Primer at the same coverage rate.
Precautions & Limitations
SLIPPERY — DO NOT install on the roof. Do not leave permanently exposed to sunlight. Maximum recommended exposure is 120 days. May be applied to EPDM in vertical applications. Some caulks containing high levels of hydrocarbon solvents may be incompatible with the adhesive in Vycor® PRO flashing. Check with the caulk manufacturer or your local GCP Applied Technologies technical sales representative and/or refer to Technical Letters published on the GCP Applied Technologies web site.
Meets AAMA 711-13 specification for self-adhered flashing Level 3 requirement for elevated temperature exposure.
|Product Thickness||14 mil (0.61 mm)|
|Carrier film||Engineered Polypropylene|
|Adhesive||Non-Asphaltic, Proprietary butyl-modified adhesive|
|Release liner||Paper Release|
|Color||White with Green Paint|
|Recommended exposure limit||120 Days|
|Roll width(s)||4 in. (102 mm)||6 in. (102 mm)||9 in. (102 mm)||12 in. (102 mm)|
|Roll length(s)||75 ft (22.9 m)||75 ft (22.9 m)||75 ft (22.9 m)||75 ft (22.9 m)|
|Rolls per carton||12||8||4||4|
|Shipping weight per carton||37 lbs (17 kg)||37 lbs (17 kg)||28 lbs (17 kg)||37 lbs (17 kg)|
|Cartons per pallet||60||60||84||60|