The Corrosion Problem
- CCA treated wood, used for almost 70 years, is no longer available for residential usage due to its negative environmental and health effects.
- Environmentally safe but significantly more corrosive preservatives (ACQ, CA-B, ACZA) replaced CCA as of January 1, 2004.
- New wood treatments are approximately 2.5–4 times more corrosive to galvanized metal components compared to the historically used CCA.
- Corrosion may become visible in a short period of time—weeks or months rather than years. Wet conditions accelerate the corrosion rate.
- Heavier galvanized coatings (G185 or batch hot-dipgalvanized) extend the life of the connectors and fasteners, however the corrosion mechanism and rate do not change. The use of additional protection is highly recommended.
- Improves durability of deck structures
- Enhances deck aesthetics and longevity
- Minimizes unnecessary repairs and costly call-backs
- Provides inexpensive protection (approximately $50 material cost for a 400 ft2 deck)
- Provides fast and easy to use solution
How Does Vycor® Deck Protector Work?
Vycor® Deck Protector is the first uniquely formulated solution to help reduce corrosion of galvanized metal connectors. It is installed between the connector and the pressure-treated wood and acts as a barrier layer to break the electric circuit and thus helps reduce corrosion.
Vycor® Deck Protector also helps reduce the corrosion rate of galvanized nails that attach the connectors to the treated wood, by separating them from the corrosion influence of the large connector (i.e. joist hanger). The corrosion rates of these fasteners may not be at the level seen with CCA wood.
Use hot-dip galvanized (HDG) fasteners per ASTM A153 when attaching galvanized metal connectors. HDG fasteners optimize structural and corrosion performance in these applications.
Use fasteners per the manufacturer’s recommendation when attaching the surface decking boards to the supporting joists.
The Corrosion Mechanism
When two dissimilar metals (the copper from the wood preservatives and the zinc from the galvanized metal) come into contact with one another, in the presence of moisture, an electric circuit is created and corrosion occurs. This same mechanism makes batteries work. Although CCA also contained copper, its other chemical components (chromate and arsenate) acted as corrosion inhibitors and slowed down corrosion. Therefore CCA wood had been successfully used for years.
Vycor® Deck Protector reduces the corrosion rates of galvanized connectors in contact with the new pressure-treated wood back to the historical level of CCA wood.
The Vycor® Deck Protector Solution
- The Vycor® Deck Protector Solution
- The first product uniquely formulated and tested to help provide corrosion protection to galvanized metal connectors.
- Helps decrease the corrosion rates of galvanized connectors to the historically acceptable levels seen with CCA.
- Helps reduce the corrosion rates of the galvanized nails attaching the connectors.
- The only barrier solution evaluated by Simpson Strong-Tie®—the leader in the metal connectors industry.