SILCOR® Primer EPF is a two-component fast curing, short recoat time epoxy primer for concrete substrates specifically designed for SILCOR® liquid waterproofing membranes.
- Can be placed over green concrete or 7 days cure concrete, when it is used with SILCOR® 900MP
- Fast curing with short recoat time
- Excellent adhesion exceeds concrete cohesive strength
- Easy to apply by roller or brush
- Easy to use multi-purpose primer
1. Surface Preparation
- Minimum pull-off adhesion strength of the concrete substrate as determined by ASTM D4541 or ASTM D7234 shall be115 psi for limited access roofs and 215 psi for vehicular trafficked decks. Where these values are not achieved by pull-off adhesion testing, remove all laitance by shot blasting.
- Surfaces must be clean, sound, free of dust, laitance, sealers, grease or any other contaminants that might reduce adhesion.
- If power washing the substrate, allow sufficient time for the residual humidity to dissipate. The substrate moisture content before application of the primer must be less than 5%. The primer surface before application of SILCOR® liquid membrane must be clean and dry.
- For further details concerning surface preparation guidelines and primer choice, refer to the SILCOR® Application Manual.
- Store SILCOR® Primer EPF in a dry and cool place out of direct sunlight.
- Add the complete quantity of the B-component to the A-component to assure correct mixing ratio.
- Mix with a slow turning mixer (less than 300 rpm) for 3 minutes in order to obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- The application temperature range is 40°F to 80°F. Higher temperatures reduce the pot-life considerably. . Can be installed down to 20°F. Please contact GCP’s Technical Service when installation below 40°F is anticipated.
- Apply SILCOR® Primer EPF to the surface by brush or roller immediately after mixing ensuring coverage of the entire surface.
- Pour the primer onto the surface in a zigzag pattern.
- After pouring onto the surface, distribute the primer evenly with foam rubber squeegees and roll using Perlon rollers.
- The primer should be evenly distributed at 10 mils thickness with complete coverage of the surface.
- If the surface is very porous and absorbs primer to the extent that open surface remains additional primer must be added in this area within the pot life or recoat time of the primer.
- When excessive vapor drive is observed, resulting in pin holes in the primer, re-apply a new layer of SILCOR® Primer EPF.
- The SILCOR® membrane should be applied within 24 hours after primer application. This window is influenced by ambient temperature and humidity.
- SILCOR® Primer EPF can be filled with dry, washed quartz silica sand (20/40 mesh) to make a scratch coat for repairing and leveling small surface defects before the application of the membrane.
- Mixing and application equipment should be cleaned immediately with mineral spirits. Remove hardened material mechanically. All solvents should be used only in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations. Do not use solvents to clean hands or skin.
|APPROX. UNIT OF SIZE|
|SILCOR® Primer EPF Part A||0.7 gal|
|SILCOR® Primer EPF Part B||0.5 gal|
|Adhesion to concrete||concrete cohesive strength|
|Viscosity (mixed A+B) 68°F||600 centipoise|
|Pot Life 68°F||20 min|
|Touch dry 68°F||2 hours|
|Full cure||7 days|
|Recoat window 68°F||2-24 hours|
|Min. substrate application temperature||40°F|
Approximately 125 ft2/gal (150 sqf/kit), actual will vary depending on the absorption and profile of the surface.
SILCOR® Primer EPF should be stored under cover, protected from moisture in original sealed containers above 40°F (5°C) and below 80°F (25°C) or crystallization may occur. Shelf life is 2 years in unopened containers stored under the conditions described above.
Health and Safety
gcpat.com | North America Customer Service: 1 877-4AD-MIX1 (1 877-423-6491)
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate, and is offered for consideration, investigation and verification by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations, and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright, or other third party right.
BITUTHENE, PREPRUFE, and SILCOR are trademarks, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reflect current trademark ownership or status.
© 2021 GCP Applied Technologies Inc. All rights reserved
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 2325 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 450, Alpharetta, GA 30009, USA
GCP Canada, Inc., 294 Clements Road, West, Ajax, Ontario, Canada L1S 3C6
This document is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in the United States. It is important that you always refer to the currently available information at the URL below to provide the most current product information at the time of use. Additional literature such as Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations and other relevant documents are also available on www.gcpat.com. Information found on other websites must not be relied upon, as they may not be up-to-date or applicable to the conditions in your location and we do not accept any responsibility for their content. If there are any conflicts or if you need more information, please contact GCP Customer Service.
Last Updated: 2022-08-16