FIREBOND® is an Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) classified bonding agent approved for use with any of the fire protection products manufactured by GCP Applied Technologies. FIREBOND® is water based, nonflammable and ready to use. FIREBOND® is classified for use with GCP fire protection products in accordance with ASTM E119 and E84 and listed in the UL Fire Resistance Directory, category CBUI encapsulants.
FIREBOND® may be used as a bonding agent or surface sealer for the following applications:
- As a bonding agent over polystyrene or urethane foam insulation prior to application of MONOKOTE® Z-3306 Thermal Barrier.
- As a bonding agent over primed/painted structural steel (columns and beams)1 prior to application of MONOKOTE® MK-6 /HY , MK-6/HY ES™, MK-6s, MK-6/GF, MK-10/HB, MK-10/HB ES, MK-1000/HB, MK-1000/HB ES, Z-106, Z-106/HY, Z-106/G, Z-146, Z-156 and RETRO- GUARD® RG.2
- As a bonding agent over concrete floor and/or roof units (including slab, panjoist, hollow-core or precast plank or TEE units) prior to application of the products listed in item 2.
- As a surface sealer (where specified) over any of the above products. Coverage rate requirements will vary based on the project requirements.Where specified, a surface sealer shall be installed in one or more coats in such a manner that the sealer does not saturate the fire protection product. The fire protection product shall be substantially dry prior to sealer application.
Clean tools and drippings with warm soapy water before FIREBOND® dries.
FIREBOND® can be applied with most major brands of airless latex paint spray equipment. FIREBOND® may also be applied with a common garden sprayer, paint brush or roller.
FIREBOND® at full concentrated strength— up to 1000 ft2/gal Firebond diluted 1:1 (with water)— up to 500 ft2/gal
|Actual VOC content||14.3 ± 10 g/L|
|Average particle size||0.2 microns|
|Flash point||Noncombustible (water-based)|
|Odor||Similar to latex house paint|
|Shelf life at 78 °F||24 months minimum, (in originally factory sealed containers)|
|Weight per gallon at 78 °F||8.8 lbs|
|Dry time at 78 °F To touch:||1–2 hours Additional coats: (when dry)|
|Fire rating ASTM E84||Class “A”|
Refer to GCP Applied Technologies product literature to determine acceptability of fire protection products for the intended use.
Any inquiry related to products manufactured by GCP Applied Technologies should be addressed to:
GCP Applied Technologies
2325 Lakeview Parkway Suite 450
Alpharetta, GA 30009
or call toll free: 866-333-3SBM (3726)
Customer Service Center
FIREBOND® is manufactured by Fiberlock Technologies Inc. for GCP Applied Technologies. Any inquiry related to products manufactured by Fiberlock Technologies, Inc., should be addressed to:
Fiberlock Technologies, Inc.
150 Dascomb Road
Andover, MA 01810
or call toll free: 800-FIBERLK
GCP provides technical support for all of its products. The Fiberlock Technologies, Inc. SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for FIREBOND® are available at our web site, gcpat.com.
All statements, technical information and recommendations contained herein are based on tests we believe to be reliable. However, since the conditions of use and application are beyond our control, GCP Applied Technologies shall not be liable for any damage, direct or consequential, resulting from the use of this material or design. GCP Applied Technologies’ only warranty shall be to replace any of its products found to be defective.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Keep from freezing. Do not store at temperatures above 100 °F.
GCP Applied Technologies is the exclusive supplier of Firebond Concentrate
|Description||Part No.||Volume||Std. Pk.|
|5 gal (19 L) pail||1378||1,155 in.3 (18,942 cm3)||1|
|55 gal (208.2 L) drum||1379||12,705 in.3 (208,197 cm3)||1|
1. All paints and primers require prior testing and approval by GCP for verification of compliance with the “Coating Materials” section of the Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. Fire Resistance Directory for requirements/restrictions to the use of primed/painted structural steel in fire resistance designs.
2. The use of Retro-Guard RG is often associated with abatement projects. These products are not substitutes for UL classified post-removal lockdowns. Refer to the Encapsulant Materials (CBUI) category of the UL Fire Resistance Directory for additional information.
gcpat.com | North America Customer Service: 1 877-4AD-MIX1 (1 877-423-6491)
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate, and is offered for consideration, investigation and verification by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations, and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright, or other third party right.
FIREBOND is a trademark, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reflect current trademark ownership or status.
© Copyright 2018 GCP Applied Technologies Inc. All rights reserved.
Printed in U.S.A. GCP0083 _UL-166-1016
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 2325 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 450, Alpharetta, GA 30009, USA
GCP Canada, Inc., 294 Clements Road, West, Ajax, Ontario, Canada L1S 3C6
This document is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in the United States. It is important that you always refer to the currently available information at the URL below to provide the most current product information at the time of use. Additional literature such as Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations and other relevant documents are also available on www.gcpat.com. Information found on other websites must not be relied upon, as they may not be up-to-date or applicable to the conditions in your location and we do not accept any responsibility for their content. If there are any conflicts or if you need more information, please contact GCP Customer Service.
Last Updated: 2022-12-16