GCP Applied Technologies’ (“GCP”) BITUTHENE® 4000 system combines a robust, flexible, pre-formed membrane made of a high performance, cross laminated, HDPE carrier film with a tacky, self-adhesive rubberized asphalt compound and BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner.
BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner is water-based primer that is specifically formulated to promote adhesion by binding dust and concrete efflorescence to help provide a suitable surface for the BITUTHENE® 4000 waterproofing membrane. For convenience, BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner is packaged inside each roll of BITUTHENE® 4000 membrane.
- Provides a barrier to water, moisture and gas — physically isolating the structure from the surrounding substrate
- Excellent adhesion — Special adhesive compound engineered for use with BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner
- Cross-laminated, high density polyethylene carrier film provides high tear strength, puncture and impact resistance
- Cold applied — Simple application to substrates, including low temperature applications
- Reduced inventory and handling costs due to the inclusion of primer in the packaging
- Wide application temperature range — Excellent bond at temperatures as low as 25°F (-4°C)
- Designed to accommodate a wide range of building configurations and details
- RIPCORD® integrated filament —Split release on demand feature allows for ease of installation in detailed areas
BITUTHENE® 4000 membrane – Self-adhered, rubberized asphalt waterproofing membrane
Ancillary components (Data sheets for all system components are available at gcpat.com.)
- BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner – Water-based latex primer adhesive with added alcohol to allow application at low temperatures
- BITUTHENE® B2 LVC adhesive primer - Low VOC, solvent-based primer to increase adhesion of the BITUTHENE® 4000 membrane to concrete surfaces
- BITUTHENE® LM liquid membrane – Two-component, elastomeric, liquid-applied detailing compound
- BITUTHENE® mastic – Rubberized, asphalt-based mastic
- BITUTHENE® Edgeguard tape – Double-sided self-adhesive tape
- HYDRODUCT® drainage composite – High impact and creep-resistant geo-composite and protection layer
- BITUTHENE® Deck Prep surface treatment – Surface leveler for application to uneven or rough concrete surfaces
Limitations of Use
- The BITUTHENE® 4000 membrane and BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner are specifically designed for use as detailed in this product data sheet, and are not intended for any other use. Contact GCP Technical Support if any other use is anticipated or intended.
- The BITUTHENE® 4000 membrane is designed for waterproofing surfaces where in-service temperatures will not exceed 130°F (54°C).
- Do not use BITUTHENE® mastic to terminate the BITUTHENE® 4000 membrane to PREPRUFE® pre-applied waterproofing systems. Terminations to PREPRUFE® membranes should only be done with BITUTHENE® LM liquid membrane.
Special note: When this information is printed from the gcpat.com global website, a footer appearing on this document may contain wording restricting its applicability to the United States. Note that the information and references in this document also apply to North, Central and South America.
Safety and Handling Information
Read and understand the product label and safety data sheet (SDS) for each system component. All users should acquaint themselves with this information prior to working with the products and follow the precautionary statements. SDSs can be obtained by contacting your local GCP representative or office, by calling GCP toll free at 1-866-333-3SBM (3726) and in some cases from our website at gcpat.com.
The BITUTHENE® 4000 membrane should be stored upright. Storage temperatures should not be below 25°F (-4°C) and should not exceed 90°F (32°C).
Technical Support, Details, and Technical Letters
The most up-to-date detail drawings and technical letters are available at gcpat.com. For complete application instructions, please refer to the current GCP Applied Technologies Contractor Handbook and Literature at www.gcpat.com. Documents in hardcopy as well as information found on websites other than www.gcpat.com may be out of date or in error. Before using this product, it is important that information be confirmed by accessing www.gcpat.com and reviewing the most recent product information, including and not limited to product data sheets and contractor manuals, technical bulletins, detail drawings and detailing recommendations. Please review all materials prior to installation of BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes. For technical assistance with detailing and problem solving, please call toll-free at (866) 333-3SBM (3726).
- Apply BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes and BITUTHENE® surface conditioner only in dry weather and when air and surface temperatures are 25°F (-4°C) or above.
- BITUTHENE® B2 LVC adhesive primer and BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner should only be applied in dry weather when the temperature is above 25°F (-4°C). See separate product information sheets and applicable application instructions.
Surfaces must be structurally sound and free of voids, spalled areas, loose aggregate and sharp protrusions. Remove contaminants such as grease, oil and wax from exposed surfaces. Remove dust, dirt, loose stone and debris. Concrete must be properly cured (minimum seven-days for normal weight structural concrete and 14 days for lightweight structural concrete). For horizontal applications, double the above cure times of concrete if placed over non-vented decks. Certain conditions, such as unusually wet weather or late removal of forms, may require longer dry times.
Dry weather application of BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes and BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner is preferred. On vertical applications, if time is critical and damp conditions are unavoidable, BITUTHENE® B2 LVC adhesive primer may be used in place of BITUTHENE® surface conditioner. The use of BITUTHENE® B2 LVC adhesive primer may allow priming and installation of BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes on damp surfaces or green concrete. When using BITUTHENE® B2 LVC adhesive primer, priming may begin as soon as the concrete will maintain structural integrity.
Only use form release agents that will not transfer to the concrete. Remove forms as soon as possible from below horizontal slabs to prevent entrapment of excess moisture. Excess moisture may lead to blistering of the membrane.
Cure concrete with clear, resin-based curing compounds that do not contain oil, wax or pigment. See Technical Letter 5, Curing Compounds and Form Release Agents. Before application of BITUTHENE® surface conditioner and BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes, allow concrete to thoroughly dry following any rain (except with BITUTHENE® B2 LVC adhesive primer as noted above). Do not apply any products to frozen concrete.
Repair substrate defects such as spalled or poorly consolidated areas. Remove sharp protrusions and form match lines. For rough or uneven deck surfaces, use BITUTHENE® Deck Prep surface treatment as a repair and leveling agent. See BITUTHENE® Deck Prep surface treatment product information sheet for details. On masonry surfaces such as rough concrete block and brick walls, apply a parge and trowel cut mortar joints ﬂush to the face of the concrete blocks and bricks.
BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner is ready to use, and can be applied by spray or roller. For best results, use a pump-type air sprayer with a fan tip nozzle. Apply BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner to clean, dry, frost- free surfaces at a coverage rate of 300 ft2/gal (7.4 m2/L). Coverage should be uniform. The surface conditioner should not be applied so heavily that it puddles or runs. Do not apply conditioner directly to BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes. Allow BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner to dry until the substrate returns to its original (dry) color. At low temperatures or in high humidity conditions, dry time may be extended to greater than one hour.
BITUTHENE® 4000 surface conditioner is clear when dry and may remain slightly tacky. In general, conditioning should be limited to what can be covered within 24-hours. In situations where long dry times may prevail, substrates may be conditioned up to 24-hours in advance. Substrates must be reconditioned if dirt or dust accumulates on the conditioned surface. Tools should be cleaned with water before the surface conditioner dries.
Application on Horizontal Surfaces
Note: PREPRUFE® 300R and 300R Plus pre-applied membranes are strongly recommended and are the preferred products for below slab applications or for any application where the membrane is applied before concrete is poured. See PREPRUFE® membrane waterproofing product information sheets at gcpat.com.
All horizontal surfaces to receive BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes should be sloped to drain at least 1/8 in./ft. (11 mm/m). When a minimum slope of 1/8 in. /ft. (11 mm/m) cannot be achieved, two layers of BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes or 80-mils of BITUTHENE® Deck Prep surface treatment and one layer of BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes maybe an option. Contact your local GCP representative for more details.
Apply the membranes from the low point to the high point so that laps shed water. Overlap all seams at least 2.5 in. (65 mm). Stagger all end laps. Roll the entire membrane firmly, and completely as soon as possible. Use a linoleum roller or standard water-filled garden roller less than 30 in. (760 mm) wide, weighing a minimum of 75 lbs (34 kg) when filled. Cover the face of the roller with a “conforming” material such as 1/2 in. (13 mm) plastic foam sheeting or two wraps of indoor-outdoor carpet to allow the membrane to fully contact the primed substrate. Seal all T-joints and membrane terminations with BITUTHENE® LM liquid membrane by the end of the day of membrane application.
Application on Vertical Surfaces
Apply BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes in lengths up to 8 ft (2.5 m). Overlap all seams at least 2.5 in. (65 mm). On walls higher than eight feet, apply membranes in two or more “shingled” lifts, with the upper sheet overlapping the lower by at least 2.5 in. (65 mm). Roll all membranes with a hand roller.
Terminate the membranes at grade level. Press each membrane firmly to the wall with the butt end of a hardwood tool such as a hammer handle or secure into a reglet. Failure to use heavy pressure at terminations can result in a poor seal.
All top-of-wall terminations should be sealed with BITUTHENE® LM liquid membrane or BITUTHENE® mastic. A termination bar may be used to ensure a tight seal. If the wall has been only partially covered by the end of the working day, apply a maximum ¼” bead of BITUTHENE® mastic tooled thin or BITUTHENE® LM liquid membrane along the exposed edges of the membrane at its temporary terminations to prevent vertical drainage of precipitation, which could undermining the membrane adhesion. Terminate the membranes at the base of the wall if the bottom of the interior floor slab is at least 6 in. (150 mm) above the footing.
Otherwise, use appropriate inside corner detail where the wall and footing meet. A 1/8 in. (3 mm) x 1 in. (25 mm) aluminum termination bar aligned with the top of the membrane is recommended for terminations on CMU, in earth covered decks and in earth-bermed applications where soil cannot be fully compacted. See technical letter 26 about BITUTHENE® membrane terminations for additional information.
Patch tears and inadequately lapped seams with additional membrane. Clean any damaged membrane with a damp cloth and dry. Slit fish-mouths and repair with a patch extending 6 in. (150 mm) in all directions from the slit, and seal edges of the patch with BITUTHENE® LM liquid membrane. Inspect all membranes thoroughly before covering, and repair any damaged areas.
HYDRODUCT® drainage composites are recommended for both active drainage and protection of the membranes. See HYDRODUCT® drainage composite product data sheet at gcpat.com.
Always apply BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes directly to primed or conditioned structural substrates. Insulation, if used, must be applied over the membranes. Do not apply BITUTHENE® membranes over insulation or lightweight insulating concrete.
Flood Testing (Horizontal Surfaces Only)
Flood test all horizontal applications with a minimum 2 in. (51 mm) head of water for 24-hours. Mark any leaks and repair when the membrane is dry. Before ﬂood testing, be sure the structure will withstand the dead load of the water. For highly sloped decks, segment the ﬂood test to avoid excessively deep water near drains. Conduct the ﬂood test 24-hours after completing the application of BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes. Immediately after ﬂood testing is completed and all necessary repairs have been made, install HYDRODUCT® drainage composite to protect the BITUTHENE® membranes from damage by other trades.
As an alternate to flood testing, appropriate electronic leak detection may be used to check the integrity of the system.
Protection of Membrane
To prevent damage from other trades, construction materials or backfill, protect BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes immediately after application. To avoid potential blisters, place protection immediately where temperatures are above 77°F (25°C).
- On vertical applications, use HYDRODUCT® 220 drainage composite. Adhere HYDRODUCT® 220 Drainage Composite to membranes with PREPRUFE® Detail Tape. Alternative methods of protection are to use nominal 1.0 lb/ft3 (16kg/m3), min. 1 in. (25 mm) extruded polystyrene or min.1/4 in. (6 mm) asphaltic hardboard. Such alternatives do not provide positive drainage to the system. If 1/4 in. (6 mm) extruded polystyrene protection board is used, backfill must not contain sharp rock or aggregate over 2 in. (50 mm) in diameter or any debris that might puncture the protection board and/or the membranes. See Technical 27 Letter Protection Courses used with GCP Waterproofing Systems for additional information.
- On horizontal applications, use HYDRODUCT® 660 Drainage Composite. Alternate methods of protection are to use 1 in (25 mm) extruded polystyrene or ¼” asphaltic hardboard.
On horizontal applications when placing steel over properly protected membranes, use concrete bar supports (dobies) or chairs with plastic tips or rolled feet to prevent damage from sharp edges. Use special care when using wire mesh, especially if the mesh is curled.
Place backfill as soon as possible. (See Protection of Membrane above) Use care during backfill operation to avoid damage to the waterproofing system. Follow generally accepted practices for backfilling and compaction. Backfill should be added and compacted in 6 in. (150 mm) to 12 in. (300 mm) lifts.
- City of Los Angeles Research Report RR 24386 Miami-Dade County Code Report NOA 18-1109.01
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) HUD Materials Release 628j
- BITUTHENE® 4000 membranes carry a Underwriters’ Laboratory Class A Fire Rating (Building Materials Directory (File TFGU.R7910) when used in either of the following constructions:
- Limited to noncombustible decks at inclines not exceeding 1/4 in. (6 mm) to the horizontal 1 ft (0.3 m). One layer of BITUTHENE® waterproofing membrane, followed by one-layer of 1/8 in. (3 mm) protection board, encased in 2 in. (50 mm) minimum concrete monolithic pour.
- Limited to noncombustible decks at inclines not exceeding 1/4 in. (6 mm) to the horizontal 1 ft (0.3 m). One layer of BITUTHENE® waterproofing membrane, followed by one layer of DOW styrofoam PD insulation board [2 in. (50 mm) thick]. This is covered with one layer of 2 ft x 2 ft x 2 in. (0.6 m x 0.6 m x 50 mm) of concrete paver topping.
Physical Properties for BITUTHENE® 4000 Membrane
|PROPERTY||TYPICAL VALUE||TEST METHOD|
|Dimensions||3 ft x 66.7 ft roll (200 ft2)|
|Thickness||60 mils (1.5 mm) nominal||ASTM D3767—method A|
|Flexibility, 180° bend over 1 in.
(25 mm) mandrel at -25°F (-32°C)
|Tensile strength, Membrane, die C||325 psi (2240 kPa) minimum||ASTM D4121|
|Tensile strength, ﬁlm||5,000 psi (34.5 MPa) minimum||ASTM D8821|
|Elongation, ultimate failure of rubberized asphalt||300% minimum||ASTM D4121|
|Crack cycling at -25°F (-32°C), 100 cycles||Unaffected||ASTM C836|
|Lap shear||20 lbs (89 N)||ASTM D10022|
|Peel strength||11 lbs/in. (1926 N/m)||ASTM D9034|
|Puncture resistance, Membrane||50 lbs (222 N) minimum||ASTM E154|
|Resistance to hydrostatic head||230 ft (70m) of water||ASTM D5385|
|Permeance||<0.1 perms||ASTM E96, section 12—water method|
|Water absorption||<0.1%||ASTM D570|
1. The test is run at a rate of 2 in. (50 mm) per minute.
2. The test is conducted at a speed of 4 in. (102 mm) per minute.
3. Individual Roll Length may vary +/- 1%
gcpat.com | North America Customer Service: 1 877-4AD-MIX1 (1 877-423-6491)
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate and is oﬀered for consideration, investigation and veriﬁcation by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright or other third-party right.
BITUTHENE®, PREPRUFE®, HYDRODUCT® and RIPCORD® are trademarks, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies, Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reﬂect current trademark ownership or status.
© Copyright 2018 GCP Applied Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.
Printed materials intended for use in the United States only.
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 2325 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 450, Alpharetta, GA 30009, USA
GCP Canada, Inc., 294 Clements Road, West, Ajax, Ontario, Canada L1S 3C6
This document is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in the United States. It is important that you always refer to the currently available information at the URL below to provide the most current product information at the time of use. Additional literature such as Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations and other relevant documents are also available on www.gcpat.com. Information found on other websites must not be relied upon, as they may not be up-to-date or applicable to the conditions in your location and we do not accept any responsibility for their content. If there are any conflicts or if you need more information, please contact GCP Customer Service.
Last Updated: 2022-08-16