Vycor® Aluminum Flashing (US Version)
Self-adhered flashing with aluminum surface for exposed applications
Moisture Control is the First Step to Mold Control
Water from both exterior and interior sources is among the worst enemies of building structures. When water enters the building envelope and remains there for a long time, it creates a favorable environment for the development of rot, mold and mildew. Proper waterproofing and flashing practices are necessary to ensure high quality, long-lasting construction.
Repairs of rot and mold are major concerns for homebuilders, contractors, architects, and homeowners. Not only are such repairs difficult, but they are also extremely costly. Window and door openings, deck-to-wall intersections, foundation sill plates, corners, roof details, and other penetration areas are the most common water entry points. A self-adhered flashing membrane, properly integrated with the other elements of the building structure, creates a barrier to water entry and a drainage plane for water to drain out of the building envelope.
Vycor® Aluminum Flashing, a high performance self-adhered flashing membrane, provides premium protection against water infiltration in all critical detail areas, that traditional building papers, felts and housewraps cannot match. When properly installed, it can reduce the risk of rot and mold development, often associated with costly call-backs.
- Ripcord® split release on demand
- Easier and faster to install correctly
- Improved product performance
- Proper integration with housewrap, felt and other weather resistive barriers
- Reduces the risk of rot and mold development
- Provides waterproofing protection for leak areas where flashing is left exposed
- Seals around nails
Vycor® Aluminum Flashing self-adhered flashing is composed of durable, cross-laminated, high density polyethylene aluminum surfaced sheet, backed by an aggressive, pressure sensitive rubberized asphalt adhesive. Vycor® Aluminum Flashing is available in the following widths: 4 in. (100 mm) and 6 in. (150 mm) to accommodate a variety of job requirements. Ripcord is available in 6 in. width.
Features & Benefits
- Ripcord® — With the sophistication of construction practices it becomes a must to follow the proper sequencing principles. Ripcord offers the flexibility to install half the membrane before and the other half after the other building envelope components are installed, i.e. housewrap or felt. Only in this way are the proper installation principles followed.
- Easy to work with — Membrane installation is fast and easy— simply remove the release paper and press onto the substrate. With Vycor® Aluminum Flashing contractors can flash more details with better quality.
- Superior adhesion capabilities — The membrane creates a strong bond to the substrate for long-lasting waterproofing protection
- Seals around fasteners — The specially formulated rubberized asphalt adhesive seals around fasteners, allowing no water to penetrate and get to the substrate.
- Forms water-tight laps — Vycor® Aluminum Flashing’s superior adhesion properties ensure strong laps.
- Highly conformable and flexible — Can accommodate settlement and shrinkage movement.
- Proven track record — Vycor® Aluminum Flashing employs the same proven technology as our Grace Ice & Water Shield® —the market leader in self-adhered underlayments for over 30 years.
- Long-lasting waterproofing protection — Both the aluminum surfaced polyethylene film and the specially formulated rubberized asphalt components create a water and moisture barrier that does not degrade from the effects of the environment.
Vycor® Aluminum Flashing is a unique solution, appropriate for working around a number of detail areas, including, but not limited to:
- Window and door openings (headers, sills, jambs, thresholds, nailing flanges)
- Deck-to-wall intersections
- Corners boards
- Wall-to-wall tie-ins
- Foundation sill plates
- Sheathing panel seams
- Under stucco finishes
- Masonry walls
- Roof detail areas
- Mobile home repair
|Property||Vycor® Aluminum Flashing|
|Recommended exposure limit||Can be left exposed|
|Roll width(s)||4 in. (100 mm)||6 in. (150 mm)|
|Roll length(s)||50 ft (22.9 m)||75 ft (22.9 m)|
|Rolls per carton||18||12|
|Shipping weight||74 lbs (33 kg)||74 lbs (33 kg)|
|Cartons per pallet||30||30|
Precautions & Limitations
The membrane is slippery—DO NOT walk on the membrane. Consistent with good roofing practice, always wear fall protection when working on a roof deck.
Due to its slight asphaltic odor, apply this product where the membrane is not exposed to interior living space. Vycor® Aluminum Flashing should not be used in hot desert areas in the southwestern United States.
Vycor® Aluminum Flashing is not compatible with flexible PVC. Contact window manufacturer for specific application instructions required when using a bituminous-based flashing. Certain metal window applications with integral nail fin may have specific limitations. Some solvents in certain caulking may be incompatible with the adhesive in Vycor® Aluminum Flashing.
For more information, check with your local GCP Applied Technologies technical sales representative.
Meets the AAMA 711 Standard for self-adhered flashing.
Key details for Vycor® Aluminum Flashing
For most recent and additional details, consult our web site at www.gcpat.com
Apply Vycor® Aluminum Flashing in fair weather when the air, surface and membrane are at temperatures of 25°F (-4°C) or higher. After precipitation, allow a minimum of 24 hours for drying before installing the flashing.
Install directly onto a clean and dry surface. Some compatible substrates include wood, plywood, oriented strand board, metal, concrete and masonry. Remove dust, dirt, and loose nails. Protrusions must be removed. Surfaces shall have no voids, damaged, or unsupported areas. Repair surfaces before installing the membrane.
Priming is generally not required for most substrates provided they are clean and dry. However, on concrete, masonry and DensGlass Gold® , apply Perm-A-Barrier® WB Primer. If adhesion is found to be marginal, prime wood composition and gypsum sheathing also with Perm-A-Barrier® WB Primer. The coverage rate for Perm-A-Barrier® WB Primer is 250–350 ft2/gal (6–8 m2/L). Allow primer to dry completely, approximately 1 hour depending on weather conditions, before application of flashing.
Cut the membrane to the desired length. Peel back the release paper to expose the adhesive. Align the membrane and press into place with heavy hand pressure.
Laps must be a minimum of 3 in. (75 mm). Mechanically fasten the membrane at all vertical terminations. Use only smooth shank fasteners.
Consistent with good construction practice, install the membrane such that all laps shed water (following the shingle principle).
The top membrane layer should go over the bottom layer. Always work from the low point to the high point. When needed, use Ripcord to split the release paper and adhere half of the membrane, while leaving the other half with the paper on. This is required when flashing a window sill before the housewrap/weather resistive barrier is installed.
gcpat.com | North America Customer Service: 1 877-4AD-MIX1 (1 877-423-6491)
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate, and is offered for consideration, investigation and verification by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations, and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright, or other third party right.
Grace Ice & Water Shield, Perm-A-Barrier, Ripcord, and Vycor are trademarks, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reflect current trademark ownership or status.
© Copyright 2018 GCP Applied Technologies Inc. All rights reserved.
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 62 Whittemore Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02140 USA.
In Canada, GCP Canada, Inc., 294 Clements Road, West, Ajax, Ontario, Canada L1S 3C6.
This document is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in the United States. It is important that you always refer to the currently available information at the URL below to provide the most current product information at the time of use. Additional literature such as Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations and other relevant documents are also available on www.gcpat.com. Information found on other websites must not be relied upon, as they may not be up-to-date or applicable to the conditions in your location and we do not accept any responsibility for their content. If there are any conflicts or if you need more information, please contact GCP Customer Service.
Last Updated: 2019-03-15