AQUATEK® Elastic 2C is a flexible, crack bridging, cement based 2-component coating for waterproofing and ingress protection of concrete and masonry.
- High adhesion, crack-bridging and waterproofing performance for long-term waterproofing against positive and negative hydrostatic pressures.
- Additional high carbonatation, chloride diffusion and freeze-thaw protection, providing a full protection to concrete surfaces.
- Fast setting properties for minimal downtime and rapid completion of the application.
- Fast, easy and cost effective application by manual application or spraying.
- CE marked according to EN 1504-2.
- CE marked according to EN 1504-2, principle 1.3 – Ingress protection.
Field of Application
AQUATEK® Elastic 2C is suitable for:
- Concrete waterproofing according to EN 1504-2 – principle 1.3 ingress protection.
- Waterproofing of concrete and masonry susceptible to movements, internal as well as external, below and above the ground water table, with or without positive or negative water pressure.
- Waterproofing of concrete and masonry in horizontal and vertical applications, such as: water reservoirs, tunnels, basements, etc.
|Application thickness / layer||[mm]||1|
|Fresh mortar density||[kg/dm3]||≈ 1.5|
|Open time||[min]||≈ 30|
|Application temperature||[°C]||+5 to +30|
- First layer
- Second layer
|Recoat time(***)||[hours]||> 1|
|Adhesion to concrete
- Dry concrete
- Wet concrete
|Crack bridging properties
Class A4: >1.25mm
Class A3: >0.50mm
|Capillary absorption and water permeability||[kg/(m2. h0,5)]||< 0.1|
|Hydrostatic pressure resistance
- Positive pressure
- Negative pressure
|Water vapor permeability
- Diffusion equivalent air layer thickness Sd H2O
- Diffusion equivalent air layer thickness Sd CO2
|Chloride diffusion resistance(****)||[-]||No diffusion detected.|
- Freeze thaw cycling with/without de-icing salt immersion.
- Resistance to thermal shock.
|Shelf life||12 Months
Stored under cover, clear of the ground, protected from all sources of moisture and frost.
|Packaging||Kits of 32kg.|
|Powder:||bags of 23 kg with plastic liner.
40 bags per pallet (920kg)
|Liquid:||plastic drums of 9kg
40 drums per pallet (360kg)
(*)Typical values in production control. All tests were executed under a conditioned temperature of 21°C and 65% RH.
(**) Consumption needs to be estimated by the designer, since it depends on the surface roughness and porosity. For the application of the reinforcement mesh, an additional coverage of 0.5kg/m² is required.
(***) Recoating time depends on ambient conditions and should be applied when the first layer is sufficiently cured.
(****)According guide G0008 (2002); 5.3.2 y 7.9.
1. Preparation of Substrate
- Substrate preparation has to be according EN 1504- 10 part 7.
- The substrate has to be free from dirt, grease, laitance, loose concrete, loose particles or layers which could adversely affect adhesion.
- Remove all damaged concrete and prepare substrate by sand or grid blasting, high pressure water jetting, or other methods until base concrete is exposed, offering sufficient roughness (bond) and open pores.
- The substrate must be pre-wetted with clean water. The substrate should be damp, but not saturated and without free standing water.
- The substrate must be frost-free and have a cohesion of minimum 1.5 N/mm².
- Exposed or corroded reinforcement steel needs to be treated with OMNITEK® CPC.
- Damaged areas need to be repaired with a suitable OMNITEK® or BETEC® cement based repair mortar.
- When ascending salts or efflorescence is identified on the substrate, a pre-treatment with AQUATEK® Sulfablock and/or AQUATEK® Saltstop needs to be done. An analysis of the type of salt is required for the selection of the pre-treatment.
- The product has to be mixed using a suitable forced action mixer (400-600rpm). The mixing head must be completely immersed in the powder.
- Add 50% of the liquid component into the mixer and add the total quantity of powder. Mix for 2 minutes, then add the remaining liquid. Mix for an additional 2 minutes until a lump-free, homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- The mixing time depends on the type of mixer. 4 minutes is the minimum.
- Always use the total volume of liquid and powder to prevent colour variations and to obtain optimum coating properties.
- Once the mortar is ready mixed, apply immediately. Do not prepare more material than can be used within the open time of the material.
- The material is applied in minimum 2 layers of 1mm by using a brush or roller. Alternatively suitable spray equipment can be used.
- Apply the first layer on the dampened substrate in a horizontal stroke and allow curing for minimum 1 hour depending on ambient temperature.
- Apply the second layer in a vertical stroke. Predamping the initial layer is only allowed in very dry conditions. Condensation on the first coat needs to be removed before application of the second layer.
- Spray applications require brushing of the first layer to properly fill voids and achieve uniformity.
- Do not apply the material if the ambient temperature is below 5°C or expected to fall below 5°C within 24 hours.
- In substrate areas where cracking has occurred, or is likely to occur, Reinforcement Mesh should be applied. Apply Reinforcement Mesh in a minimum width of 20cm into the freshly applied first layer of AQUATEK® Elastic 2C. Roll down well and fix with an additional layer of 0,5mm AQUATEK® Elastic 2C. Let cure for >2 hours depending on ambient temperatures, before application of the final layer.
- After treatment has to be according EN 13610 in combination with DIN EN 1045-3.
- In warm or windy conditions protect the applied material from dehydration by mist-spraying with clean water or protective tarpaulins until the initial set has taken place.
- In cold conditions cover with insulated tarpaulin, polystyrene or other insulating material. Protect surfaces against frost and rain until final set has taken place.
- In cold, humid or unventilated areas it can be necessary to allow for a longer curing period, or to introduce forced air movement to avoid condensation. Never use dehumidifiers during the curing period or within 28 days after application.
5. Cleaning and maintenance
- Mixing and application equipment should be cleaned immediately with clean water. Hardened material needs to be removed mechanically.
6. Special remarks
- Gypsum based plasters or water vapour impermeable coatings cannot be applied on AQUATEK® Elastic 2C when constant negative hydrostatic pressure is present.
- Negative water pressure must be removed during application to obtain a good adhesion of the material.
- As result of limited wear-resistance AQUATEK® Elastic 2C allows restricted pedestrian traffic on horizontal surfaces. In case of refilling soil, the surface needs to be suitably protected against mechanical damage.
- Condensation may occur after application of AQUATEK® Elastic 2C in poorly ventilated and damp areas. Increasing the ventilation and/or plastering with a lightweight cement plaster can alleviate this.
- Cementitious materials can lead to incompatibilities under certain conditions in combination with nonferrous metals (such as aluminium, copper, zinc).
- Low temperatures delay the setting of the material. High temperatures accelerate the curing and decrease the open time of the material.
- If AQUATEK® Elastic 2C is used in potable water tanks or fish tanks, the materials should be cured for at least 7 days and the surface should be repeatedly washed with clean water before use.
- AQUATEK® Elastic 2C is not suitable for prolonged contact with hydrocarbons such as petrol, fuel oil, etc.
Health & Safety
AQUATEK® Elastic 2C is a product based on cement and can therefore cause burns to skin and eyes, which should be protected during use. Wear gloves and protective eye shields. Wearing a dust mask is advised. Treat splashes to eyes and skin immediately with clean water. Consult a doctor when irritation continues. If accidentally ingested, drink water and consult a doctor. Users must comply with all risk and safety phrases. MSDS’s can be obtained from GCP Applied Technologies or from our website. GISCODE ZP1.
|De Neef Construction Chemicals bvba
|Surface protection product - Coating Ingress Protection (1.3)|
gcpat.com | North America Customer Service: 1 877-4AD-MIX1 (1 877-423-6491)
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate, and is offered for consideration, investigation and verification by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations, and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright, or other third party right.
BETEC is a trademark, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reflect current trademark ownership or status.
© Copyright 2018 GCP Applied Technologies Inc. All rights reserved.
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 62 Whittemore Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02140 USA.
In UK, GCP Applied Technologies, 580-581, Ipswich Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL 1 4EQ. EQ.
This document is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in the United States. It is important that you always refer to the currently available information at the URL below to provide the most current product information at the time of use. Additional literature such as Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations and other relevant documents are also available on www.gcpat.com. Information found on other websites must not be relied upon, as they may not be up-to-date or applicable to the conditions in your location and we do not accept any responsibility for their content. If there are any conflicts or if you need more information, please contact GCP Customer Service.
Last Updated: 2018-11-29